craftsy

Online Crochet Class

2/10/2013

Breastfeeding: Three years and counting

    I literally have been breastfeeding on and off since 2009. My first son was breastfed for just about 1year. He was bottle fed most of the time since I was going to school. My second son was conceived exactly after I stopped breastfeeding my first son and he was exclusively breastfed until he turned 5 months old. I didn't stop breastfeeding him until he was about 1 1/2 yrs. Needless to say after I stopped with him here came baby number 3 and of course she is being breastfed now also. Does anyone else see a pattern here?

    All of my children latched on great and didn't give me any problems nursing them which was a huge blessing. It just took me 3 times to get pregnant to realize that I got pregnant as soon as I stopped breastfeeding! Now I am not saying that breastfeeding is birth control but if that is how my body operates then baby girl will be breastfed til she's 10. Okay, maybe not 10 but at least 5 yrs old.  And NO, not by nursing but by pumping.
   Pumping your milk is a great way to bounce back after having a baby. You don't have to feel trapped in the house with the baby blues and you will give your husband a way to have a relationship with the baby. Breastfed babies are so clingy because of the skin to skin contact and the additional hormones you produce and give to them from nursing that makes you love them more.

Ways to pump
  1. Manual - Some mothers prefer to use a single or double manual pump. Mothers who use this generally just use it for extra milk in case of emergency or they may be stay at home mothers who don't need to pump as much. In my experience with using this form it does get the job done but it also can hurt really bad.
  2. Automatic (recommended)- Working mothers or mothers with multiple children prefer to use automatic pumps. This method works best for me and is the most time efficient. Double breast pumps are the best but the single will for sure work better than a manual pump.
How often to Pump?
  •  When I used a single pump (manual or automatic) I used to pump after feedings on the opposite breast that the baby had nursed on. This will prevent enlargement of one breast over the other especially since you are supposed to alternate breasts with each feeding or you can let the baby nurse off of both.
  • While currently using a double breast pump I pump every morning and twice in the afternoon then breastfeed during the night. For me and my milk supply it takes at the most 10mins at the most 6mins to express milk.
How much milk do you get?
In the beginning I would only get about 2oz per breast. This was great at first for the new baby and I had extra milk stored. Gradually as your baby appetite increases and they nurse often then so will your milk supply. My supply went from 2oz to 4oz per pump per breast and my baby started drinking 4-5oz in one feeding.

Pumping is a great way to monitor how much your baby is eating. It is also a great alternative for mothers who find it difficult to get their baby breastfeed.

This post is based solely upon my personal experience and I hope it helps you all. Be on the look out because I will post how to store your breast milk soon!

5 comments:

  1. This is awesome.,,,,i love it sis,,,i think a book is in order,,,think about it,,,,young moms need answers,,bless you sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sista,
    I have a 6mnt old and i have been breastfeeding since she was born. Have you ever had a decrease in milk supply, if so what did you do. I was working full-time as a cna and was unable to pump at work like i needed. So im down to 3 oz per pump and its not enough for her i have to supplement with formula and i really wanted to avoid formula. Hope you have some advice for me.
    Bless you sista,
    cassandra c.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI sis Cassie,

    I understand your pain. I would recommend introducing your baby to pureed foods and put rice cereal in the baby's milk to make it thicker. You can also increase your milk by making sure you drink a lot of liquids, natural juices and have the baby nurse from you during the night and pump before work. The baby's suction is better than the pumps and can help you produce more. I will post foods to introduce your baby to and the age groups soon. I pray this helps sis let me know if it does. All Praises to The Most High

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate is sister bless you looking forward to that list.
    cassandra c

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Stay blessed!

FREE BOPPY PILLOW!!

Free Nursing Pillow (a $ 40.00 Value) at NursingPillow.com, use Promotion Code YAIL144 TODAY!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...